December 16, 2009

Britt and Lidia and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!

One of my favorite books when I was little was Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I loved that book along with Goodnight Moon. Anyway, I thought the title fit Lidia and I's flight day home from Rapid City extremely well. Our flight out there went very well and the trip was very fun and relaxing! Lidia loved spending time with her Grandpa Todd and Toni and they loved her just as much. We spent Saturday going to Keystone to see where Grandpa worked, driving in the Black Hills, (It's been two years since I've been out there so I've missed the scenery!) going to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, and visiting with Toni's boss. Sunday was spent hanging around the house and watching the Packers! Grandpa isn't a big fan of football so him and Lidia spent the afternoon napping. I loved walking into his bedroom and seeing them cuddling. It made my day! It was a very short trip but very worth it until..... Monday morning. (Even though the day was horrible, it was still worth it :)

So onto our "very bad day"... Lidia and I had a 6:40AM flight on Monday morning. I woke up around 4:00am to have plenty of time to get to the airport because it was snowing and the weather was bad. We ended up getting to the airport at 6:10AM. This is a half hour before my flight and the exact time they tell you to be there. So we walk up to the airline counter to check my bag and get my boarding pass and there were two security guards standing there telling me they think I missed the cutoff. Instead of getting someone to help, they just walked away. So we stood there until 7:00am with noone at the ticket counter and noone in sight. When someone finally came to the counter, we found out that since it's such a small airport, once it hits a half hour before the flight time the same people that check you in also board you, so they leave the counter and there is no way I could have gotten on the flight. It was very upsetting because I missed my flight and it wasn't completely my fault and the employees were being very rude! Also, the flight didn't end up leaving until almost 8AM and I wasn't the only one that missed my flight because of this airport! But, I put on my glass half-full face and said, "At least it's more time with Grandpa, right Lidia?"

So we were able to get on a flight around 11:00am that flew into Minneapolis. Once I got into Minneapolis, we had a long layover and the flight was also delayed two hours. So we didn't get into Omaha until about 7pm! Then I had to get my bag, along with a 5 month old, a diaper bag, and a purse and stand in the freezing cold to wait for a shuttle to my car for at least twenty minutes. Then I got to my car and it was frozen shut and my windows were pure ice. Finally, a nice man came and helped me and I was able to get on the road. We drove home from Omaha and finally got home late Monday evening. So yes, it was a terrible day and I can't tell you how many times I had to go to the bathroom in the airports with an infant sitting on my lap but it was definitley an experience that I will never forget and people were very helpful throughout the day. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and Lidia and I are definitely stronger and inseparable. She made the horrible day ten times better just by smiling and entertaining the passengers on each flight. I love my little baby!!
I will post pictures of us in South Dakota when I get home.

No comments :