December 30, 2010

The joys of parenting...

Oh Lidia....If you only knew what it was like to be her parent...

I'm telling you, it's the best roller coaster I've ever been on! She's funny, sassy, sweet, demanding, outspoken, energetic, cuddly, sometimes mean, hilarious, loves to give kisses, loves to hit...

Do you get where I'm going with this??? One minute she's happy blowing kisses, the next she's hitting me because I didn't give her enough attention... terrible two's much?

Anyway, the past month with her has been quite interesting. She's been sick off and on almost every week. She's been to the doctor 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and if you know me, you know I hate "bothering" the doctor by going for something petty so she's been pretty sick. High fevers, throwing up, more ear infections, the works! This all means that her sleep has gotten out of wack, not to mention the holiday season where she got the best present of all by being allowed to sleep with Grandma and Grandpa on Christmas Eve!

So what does this all mean? My lovely ::almost 18 month old eee!::: refuses to sleep in her crib... AWESOME. Her "typical routine" is going to bed between 8 and 8:30pm each night in her crib. I lay her in there awake once she gets tired, and most nights she's out within a few minutes. Sometimes she fusses a bit, and sometimes she plays a bit. But for the most part, it's easy breezy getting her to bed even when she's sick. If she's sick, she will wake up in the middle of the night and I do what I do to get her back to bed but for the most part, she's gotten a good little routine down... until now.

Storytime? Good. A few nights ago I laid Lidia down around her normal bedtime. She laid down easily and I thought she was out. 20 minutes later I hear horrendous screams and cries. She never fell asleep. So I laid her in bed with me to get her to fall asleep. No such luck. All I heard was every word she knows how to say, followed with lots of kisses, and strokes to my hair. I put her back in bed. Fireworks. I repeat in bed with me. Again no luck. So Matt finally takes her and walks around our living room with her, her head laying on his shoulder. He said this worked a few nights prior and she fell asleep easily. Again, no luck. At one point (probably around 10pm... ugh) she said, 'couch'. This little girl loves to wake up and watch Barney every morning in her spot on the couch ever since she's been sick and found this spot. So he laid her down on the couch. No Barney. No tv. No lights. Noone in the room with her.

She was out within 5 min.

Of course I didn't leave her on the couch, I put her in her crib once she was asleep but she woke up a few hours later wanting to be out of her crib again! This new "awesome" routine has happened the last few nights. She doesn't want her crib. She doesn't want to lay in bed with anyone. She doesn't want anything but her blankey, a pillow, and a bed or couch to fall asleep in all on her own.

So my question is... Is she ready for a big girl bed? Her crib turns into a toddler daybed... would this work for her? Would it be enough of a "change" so that she will finally sleep again? Do I wait it out and see if she will go back to liking her crib? Since she likes a big bed and takes up an entire bed while sleeping, do I switch her to an actual "big bed" mattress on the floor? All of these questions are going through my head and I don't know a good answer except to try all of them and see what works??? But man, we need some sleep! Especially with a 5 month old that still wakes up at night!

When did you switch your toddler to a toddler/big bed?

1 comment :

Mrs. D said...

Obviously my babe isn't Lidia's age yet & I'm no parenting expert by any means, but it really sounds like she's ready for some sort of transition to a "big girl bed". It sounds like she wants to be a big girl & is showing that by losing interest in her crib! ::sniff:: they grow up so fast. Good luck, cute girl!!