June 15, 2011

a little DIY for your Wednesday!

I love cupcakes.
Ok....I love sweets. All sweets.
Chocolate, ice cream, and preferably all things candy.
But when it comes to cake, I'd rather have cupcakes.
So it's no surprise that the kiddos will be having cupcakes at their big birthday bash.
And since everyone around me in bloggy land is being crafty for their kids parties,
I thought I'd join and start with....

A DIY cupcake stand!
Now, you may have seen this before, but if you want a recap or to just to stare in awe of my domestic godessness, here are the directions:

What you need:
3 clear plastic plates: $1.00 each
3 glass candle holders: $1.00 each
ribbon: $1.00 each
I got all of the above from Dollar Tree, Dollar General, or whateveryouhaveinyourtown!

plus glue.
I got Gorilla Glue from Ace Hardware for $4.99.
Only problem?
This glue dries white.
So I've been picking off white scraps of glue off my project. Annoying!

Anyway,
I spent a total of 10 dollars at Dollar General
(Duh Lidia needed "Snacks!" (Fruit Snacks) and Mama needed a Diet Dew)
and 4.99 for the glue.
Pretty cheap and easy peasy.

Here's what you do....
Get your supplies together obviously...
Here is where some people may differ:
I have seen where some people spray paint their plates/candle holders.
This is the point where you would do that ...again obviously...
But I decided to take the lazy, easy way out and stick with clear,
because come on this is my first project, we can't go all Martha Stewart on the first try, right?!

THEN
Glue the candle holders to the bottom of the plates and let them dry.
Exhibit A: left picture.
THEN
One at a time, glue and stack the plate/candle holder combo on top of each other.
Let each "layer" dry before moving to the next.
Exhibit B: right picture

Oh yeah,
and don't let your toddler near your project... especially the glue.
You will have an instant fit, "Mama I want that! wahhhhh!" (Like Snooki)
or end up with her hands glued together.
Which might not be a bad thing... :)

At this point you have made your cupcake stand!
Go ahead and pat yourself on the back mama! You did great!
BUT
if you want to be real crafty...
Go ahead and get creative and decorate that sucker!
Really, the possibilities are endlesss!
I decorated mine in pink and orange ribbon, to match the bday colors/theme.
I might add a little more, but not quite sure.
For now,

here's the finished product!


and because I'm obsessed....

9 comments :

Allie @ Table for 3, Actually Make that 4 said...

Super cute idea miss crafty! Might have to steal it haha

Joeylee said...

cute!! good job

Mama Tully said...

Very cute little craft idea! I like that you could change the ribbon color to go with the color scheme for different parties too! Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

Way cute! Love it, can't wait to see it in person, if you wanna share that is :) The babes, cute as always!

Mama G said...

What a great idea!

Oh, and I love her on the bike. Adorable.

Thanks for linking up to Toddle Along Tuesday at Growing Up Geeky and Our Growing Garden!

Megan said...

This is such a cute DIY!! Thanks for sharing!!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

WOW! You are super creative! I love the multiple layers...I made a bunch of cake stands out of vintage plates and glass that I LOVE! They are all over my house. :)

Lindsey said...

ummmm in love with this DIY. Imay have to do this now. And by may, I mean I will! I've got lots of showers coming up I am hosting!! Thanks so much for posting!

Carol said...

Very clever!