October 29, 2011

Terrible Twos cont...

In the last few months, we have come to know the most stubborn, hard-headed, "mommy smart"
 (knows how to work Mommy), toddler in the world...
She comes in the form of the 2 year old at our house named; Lidia.
Now Lidia has always been stubborn, sassy, crazy, a terrible sleeper, a bad eater, and all around
"I'll do what I want, when I want" type of gal.
But in the past few months, Lidia has taken her personality to a whole other level.

Let's draw out a few examples shall we?

-For a week straight she only wanted to wear her "dance dress" and nothing else.
(for the record, I only let her do this one whole day... she's not that spoiled!)
(The infamous dance dress... oh and uncle Eric :)

- She hates clothes and shoes.
We go through about 3 outfits/shoes and she has about 4 fits before we can leave anywhere... daily.
and... she'd rather be naked.

-Sleep sucks. Period.
She hates sleeping in her bed.
She hates sleeping alone.
She has night terrors.
She wakes up every night.
She goes to bed wayyy too late.
.... and the list goes on.
I've let this go on way too long and I'm hoping my new plan to a new "restful" Lidia will work!
Otherwise we will have this type of sleeper on our hands for the rest of our lives....


*She has the biggest fights with her sister/meltdowns/fits/tantrums known to man.
When she's throwing a tantrum, she has to go in timeout and stay in there until she is done crying and
 she usually comes out happy as a clam!
This is the one area that we have become consistent on and she has learned her boundaries.
We just have to get her to learn to like to wear clothes :)

But the sleep area is a disaster! As well as her eating habits...
After we took her pacifier away, her bedtime schedule went out the window.
I feel like I was just in survival mode, and now I want to fix the problem!
I was online learning ways "to get your toddler to sleep"
and I'm hoping this new schedule I have mapped out in my head works!
But as for the eating... anyone have any ideas?
Anyone have any other ideas to help with a stubborn, non-eating, non-sleeping, non-clothing wearing toddler that loves to fight with her sister over almost everything?
Anyone?!

But regardless of how crazy she can be, she is super sweet, loving, caring,  and hilarious...
See?



2 comments :

Nicole said...

Oh goodness, I've got a tough 2 year old too. And from what I hear, the 3's are even harder.
For sleeping, we've been battling this too. For naps, I put him in his room and lock the door (his door knob is turned around). Sometimes I find him getting out of bed, but for the most part, he's ok. Night time is different. We do the same locking the door, only he gets out of bed and cries by the door or screams for us. We go in after about 10 minutes and without a word... seriously, no talking, put him back in bed. It lasts about half an hour. This has worked best for us.
For eating, we give him options, but only 2 and they're both healthy. oatmeal or yogurt. cheese stick or yogurt. You get the idea. And for dinner time we make ONE meal... if he doesn't eat it, then he doesn't eat. I refuse to be a short order chef and make mac n' cheese or cheese sandwiches every night. We also give him a multi vitamin and a calcium supplement to boost up the gaps.
With the clothes, give 2 options ONLY. Believe it or not, I have this problem too... with a boy. He wants to ONLY wear Mickey Mouse or Cars clothes. But that's not possible. So I pick out 2 shirts and tell him these are his choices... nothing more. If a fit ensues, I tell him he is allowed to get mad, but it's not going to change the fact that he's got only TWO options. Eventually he picks, even if it's grudgingly.

Overall, you just have to remember that YOU are the boss! I have Marco trained on this... I say, "Who's the boss?" and he says "Mama's boss". DANG RIGHT! You HAVE to win these battles now... hang in there... be tough... be strong... be resilient. I'll be praying for you whenever Marco acts up... pray for me too!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Found your blog through Sweet n Sassy Girls :-)

Just had to say my 2 year old is the same way with clothes suddenly! Her latest thing is that every pair of socks "hurts" and I have to readjust and smooth her socks about 1 million times before I can put her shoes on. I think a lot of it is just an age thing, because I remember going through similiar clothing issues myself when I was little. I went about 2 years refusing to wear jeans because I thought they hurt, and now they are my favorite thing to wear!!! Good luck :-)

Shawna www.nopaparazziplease.blogspot.com