January 25, 2012

"Moms of More" Guest Post ~ Joeylee

So I'm kicking off my guest post series of moms with multiple children sharing their experiences/giving advice/sharing funny stories of their life with 2 or more kids. This series is called "Moms of More..."  and I'm starting it off with Joeylee! She is one of my all time favorite blogs to read. Her kids are around the same age as Lidia and Carly, and they remind me so much of each other. I tell her all the time that if we lived closer, we would be the best of friends and so would our babes! Plus, she does the cutest crafts and DIY projects ever! Check her out, I know you will love her and her gorgeous family too :)

Hi I'm Joey, you can find me over at Sweet N Sassy Girls
I'm almost 28 (at the end of this month), I'm a stay at home mom to 2 beautiful little girls Kaylee & Keira.  I've been with my significant other for almost 10 years.  This is my first guest post and I hope you enjoy it!

Being a mom to 2 kids under 2 is awesome.
I love having 2 girls and wouldn't change it for anything.
But I also didn't expect how hard it would be at times either.
When I found out I was pregnant with Keira at 20 weeks along (you can read about that HERE), my biggest fear was how am I going to juggle 2 kids?  Will Kaylee be jealous and start acting out?  How will my relationship with Jason change?  On top of worrying about that I worried how Kaylee would be without me for 3 days. Kaylee was with us all the time and had never had an over night stay anywhere.  I think the longest she was away from us was 4 hours & that was hard for me.  Maybe I was more worried about how I'd be without her.  So what we did was we planned for Kaylee to have an over night stay with Grandma (Jason's mom) to see make sure things would go smoothly.  It will give you piece of mind knowing your first born is ok and not screaming their head off without you.  Kaylee did her first over night stay about a month before I was due, things couldn't have gone better.  We did one more over night stay about 2 weeks before I was due, again doing awesome.  Nowing that she was ok made my hospital stay a little easier.  In the 3 days I was in the hospital Kaylee wasn't allowed to come into the maternity ward cause it was to close to flu season and they didn't want little kids in there, which made it hard for me.  But I was thankful that Jason's mom would text me pictures and updates.
Once your released from the hospital the worry of how am I going to take care of a newborn and a toddler at the same time kicks in.  But for me that went right out the window, I don't know if it was because Keira was such a good baby and didn't cry or what but it seemed so easy to me.  Kaylee adjusted really well to having Keira around.  The other fear I had about Kaylee getting jealous and acting out never happened.  Kaylee was 18 months old when we brought Keira home, that first month Kaylee didn't really pay much attention to her.  I made sure to spend as much alone time with Kaylee as possible while the baby slept.  I think its important to do that, making sure that your first born doesn't feel left out or less important.
After we got into a routine, what I found to be the most difficult or challenging was trying to go out with both girls alone.  Doing little errands were now a chore and such a hassle.  Loading 2 kids up just to run to the store to get milk, was a no go!  Grocery shopping turned into a 2 parent job.  Jason now goes to the grocery store with me, we make it a family affair.  It has become a little easier now that their older but it's still a hassle and my #1 thing I hate to do is go grocery shopping. So I usually do my shopping on Monday's when both girls go to Jason's moms.
My biggest advice for any new mom or a mom that now has added a baby to the mix is to ask for help!!!  I can be found guilty of not asking for help when I needed it.  But I can say that I have a very supportive partner and he is a huge help with the girls.  When he gets home from a long day of work he'll play with the girls so that I can have a little break.  I thought I could do it all and didn't need help, but I realized that I can't do it all.  That I am not a bad mom if I ask for help.  I think it's important to have "you" time as well.
Another big thing that I thought was important was that even though you have kids to try and make time for just you and your significant other.  For the first 6 months after Keira was born it was hard for Jason & I to have that alone time we needed.  It wasn't until Jason's mom started taking both girls on Monday's that we were able to either run errands or have date night.  I found that date night was awesome for us and it helped our relationship and brought that spark back.  Which is always nice cause we've been together for almost 10 years this month.
Now that my girls are 2.5 and 1, I have found that it has become a battle of teaching them to be nice and share.  Kaylee has had lots of time outs for being mean and testing her limits to the max.  But all that it out weighed by the bond that is forming between the two of them and it's priceless.  Hearing the laughter that comes from them when they play just melts my heart.  I'm excited to see how their bond grows and my hope for them is to be best friends.  I hope that I have the same relationship with them as I have with my mom.  She is my best friend, the one I talk to about almost anything.  I hope my girls will always know how much I adore being their mom and what joy and excitment they've brought to my life!  I thank god every day for them. 


3 comments :

destinyrachell said...

aww your girls are adorable and I will definately be following your blog as well :) my husband and I want kids so bad but are too "selfish" i guess to give up our time together yet!! but it sounds like you guys juggle that fine :)

Shawna said...

Great guest post! I would give a great big "Ditto" to everything you said lol :-)

Joeylee said...

Aww thanks guys. Thank you britt for letting me guest post. Can't wait to read what the other mommy's have to say