February 04, 2013

Lidia gets her ears pierced!

My family has a lot of traditions.
Christmas traditions, birthday traditions, ear piercing traditions....????
Yes. It may seem weird but hear me out.
When I was two years old, I had to get glasses.
The weekend that I had to get glasses, my aunt Jo took me to get them.
Alone.
While we picked up my glasses, my aunt Jo decided to get my ears pierced also.
Alone.
Without telling my mom.
SO.
I came home with glasses and earrings.
At two years old :)

So, what probably was a traumatic day in my mom's life, turned into a family tradition!
And it was passed on to my little sister.
She got her ears pierced when she was two also.
An aunt didn't take her, but my older sister did.
Alone.

If you know my sister Ami, you know she takes traditions very seriously.
When Lidia was two, she tried to be sneaky and take her to get her ears pierced.
One day, I got a call and Ami wanted to "spend time alone with Lidia"
She said she was taking her to lunch or something and I was totally cool with it.
She DID take her to lunch but she ALSO tried to get her ears pierced.
No Bueno.
Lidia wasn't exactly a stellar two year old at that time.
She was scared of a lot of things, very picky, and just a grump!
(Sorry Lids! But it's true! You are MUCH better now!)
Anyway, Lidia didn't want her ears pierced.
Which was totally fine!
Ami would try again when she was older.

And now she's older.
So, last week we were all at my parent's for dinner and the ear piercing got brought up.
Lidia heard "pink splarkly earrings" and she was in!
So it was on.
So last Saturday, January 26th, my big, srong, amazing three year old got her ears pierced!
It was a different scenario since I was aware that she was getting them done, BUT I was not allowed to come!
And I was totally ok with that.
It's tradition after all!

So how did my baby do?
See for yourself....
BEFORE
DURING
AFTER!
Not one single tear, fuss, or anything!
She was a trooper!
And?
She never touches her earrings because "the two ladies' told her not to"
And?
She still loves them!
And?
She shows everyone her "pink and gray splarkly earrings"
And?
She tells everyone that her Aunt Bubba took her.

What a great memory for those two to have together, huh?
Love it.

4 comments :

Shawna said...

Very cute!

amyswor said...

Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading and came across your humorous post
about your dd, Lidia, wanting her ears pierced, and your family tradition of having your ears pierced at two and your sister. Had to pause and laugh because my ODD was similarly determined to have her ears pierced too :) at 3 yrs old and her sister, age 2 wanted "earwigs too!" Just wanted to let you know you will probably have to continue with having your 2+ yr old ears pierced soon.

When I had our ODD done, dh wanted me to go ahead and have her younger sister done too. I was unsure since she almost younger and aged two also. Told dh I would ask our ped for her advice.

Well, I didn't expect what happened next. Our ped actually encouraged me to go ahead saying it was best when mommy could care for them. She said doing them at two whenmommy could care for them was best.

I didn't have long to wait. One day, dh calls out to me from the family room asking me to come in there. Our YDD had gotten a pair of my earrings and was asking dh how to put them in her ears! She almost put one in her ear canal! Dh laughed and told me to take her to have them pierced before we had to take her to the ER to remove an earring!

At this point, I was ready and told dh I started seeing other little babies including two in church nursery and another little girl in our playgroup with earrings. I finally realized how cute our little toddler would look with cute earrings and yielded to pressure. She did great and both girls love their earrings.

I dont' know if you are ready to have your YDD's done, but since you have the family tradition of yourself, sister having them done at two, it would keep the "piercing tradition" alive and part of your family tradition. Seeing her sister with earrings, it shouldn't be too hard to have her done. If you need to convince her a little, then holding up a pair or your studs to her ears in front of the mirror. Promise she'll look adorable and be begging to have them done :)


Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com

Erin said...

Love it! She is a champ! I cannot believe she didn't cry or anything!!!! I think I got mine pierced when I was around 8-9 and pretty sure I shed a few tears haha, what a wimp right?!

Mama Tully said...

LOVE IT!!! I'm just DYING to get my girl's ears pierced. My personal rule was that I would wait for them to ask for it to have it done. Lilah has asked me many times by now but my hubby absolutely refuses to let me do it :( I think he just doesn't want his babies growing up too fast, but I just think it looks so darn cute on little girls when they have like tiny pearl studs in their ears. So sweet!