February 20, 2013

The year of the Bi-polar...

2.5 years old. The Terrible Twos. Or in our case, the Bi-polar year.

It happened to Lidia. Although, she was our more "difficult" always dramatic, oversensitive, "knows what she wants and wants it NOW!" type of child. So her "terrible twos" weren't as obvious to us because, in a way, she always had that "terrible two" in her from the beginning.

But Lidia at 3.5 years old is an absolute angel. Obviously she has her moments though. She has to go in time-out for not listening, fighting with her sister, crying, etc. etc. But 90% of the time Lidia is this amazing KID. Seriously, I don't see much of a toddler in her anymore. She is turning into a sweet, caring, loving, concerned, big girl! She is an amazing listener, she loves to help with everything, wants to know everything, asks a million questions, and talks like she's 15 years old. The other night while putting her to bed, I laid with her and just talked to her. We talked about our day, what we were going to do the next day, what sissy did, how much she loves her Papa, and we even made up a story about princess Ariel, Jasmine, and Snow White having a sleepover together. She's so sweet, smart, and funny! Her daycare has definitely brought out this other side of Lidia that isn't shy and that loves people! She's a people pleaser for sure, but I think her age has a lot to do with it as well.
But then there's Carly.
.
.
.
.
.
Carly the crazy person. Carly the 2 1/2 year old. And I know that I could stop there because everyone can see where this is going, but nope. I will enlighten you on the torture that we have been enduring over the past month :)

Let me preface this by saying that Carly is super sweet. She does this melt your heart thing where she grabs your cheeks with her hands, holds your face, kisses you and whispers, "I love you soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much! Youre my best friend! You're so beautiful!" She is also SO FUNNY. This kid makes people laugh everyday. My mom always says she's going to be an actress. The other day, I walked into her room and she was laying in her bed, with a mirror in her hand, and she was pretending to cry. She was saying, "I'm never gonna be a beauty queen after all! I'm never gonna be a princess!" and then saw me and laughed. Seriously?! She's so silly. She also says funny things all the time like, "Why don't you pick on someone your own size!" and "I'm gonna throw you in the garbage! You hear me?!" She's so funny....

....Until 2 minutes later she is biting Lidia and then looks at you, then smacks Lidia right in the face. Then she runs away and makes you chase her. She thinks pain is funny. She thinks that not listening is even funnier. She's in timeout about 1/4 of the day and it is not helping. Between all of this, she is also just a maniac! She is always getting into or jumping off of something. She never sits still. So mix a wild, crazy, go go go type of personality with the terrible twos? It's a disaster. Matt says it's payback from his childhood and I totally agree... ha! The other day, I picked them up from school and I walked in to Carly with a bucket on her head, chasing 2 little girls around and screaming, "RAWRRRR! I'm gonna GETCHA!!!" Her teacher was right there and said, "Yeahhhh Carly's turned into an ornery little girl lately." That is NOT something we want to hear. It's one thing for her to be naughty at home, but she needs to listen to her teachers at school. She's only there 2 days a week! We are definitely working on that with her. Or at least trying...

But at least we know that there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel. We already know that Lidia got past this stage and so will Carly. Right? Right? Someone tell me she will be "normal" again?! She won't be "terrible" or "bi-polar" forever right?!

3 comments :

Shawna said...

Those damn twos! haha.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can........ :-)

Joeylee said...

Haha our kids are so much alike. Keira has had some bad tantrums, but it's like she's bi polar too. Shell go from being super sweet and nice to a crazy tantrum over nothing

Kenzie Smith said...

Terrible two's and three's, let me tell ya. Haha! My son is almost three and he is totally bipolar too! One minute he will be mad about everything and nothing makes him happy.. then a little bit later he is happy as a clam.