July 30, 2013

Carly is 3!!

I've always said that my little baby girl will be famous someday. She just has that "way" about her.
(And her little gymnast body doesn't help the cause either)

Anyway, my suspicions came even more to head when I realized that she shares her birthday (July 22nd) with many many people, including many famous people, and NOW she shares her birthday with the new Prince George. I mean, fate say what?

So as a  future "famous" person, she must celebrate her birthday in style, right? I have to say that by the time her actual birthday came around, we were pretty exhausted with birthdays. Lidia's birthday, two joint parties, and now her actual day came and we were kinda spent. SHE was even spent/confused. She woke up on her birthday and I said, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABY!" ...and she said... "It's not my birthday! I already 3!" Yeah.. I can see how that would be confusing after all the celebrations she had before she actually turned 3 :)

Anyway, the night before her birthday, I took her out for some special Mommy/Carly time. We went to Culver's for some ice cream and cheese curds... her favorite!
After our date, we headed to the dollar store to pick out some cheap-o presents (because she pretty much already opened all of her presents!) and some balloons. She had a sleepover in Mommy and Papa's bed (a birthday tradition) and woke up to lots of "Happy birthdays!" and plenty of kisses. She changed into her new Strawberry Shortcake outfit and gave us lots of her crazy poses for birthday pictures!

(Speaking of pictures, somehow my camera broke! It won't zoom in or focus! So I have pretty much zero pictures from their joint party, and only a few from my camera on Carly's actual birthday. If anyone knows what might have happened to my camera or any tips to fix it... let me know!) 
Then we headed to breakfast! And continued to pose silly :)
After breakfast, we grabbed Lidia and Lulu and headed to Ledges State Park. It was about a 40 minute drive from where we live so we made sure to pack the Nook's so the babes didn't get cranky, and off we went! A little backstory... we decided to take Lidia on "Carly's birthday adventures" because Carly is lost without Lidia. She loves having her sister with her everywhere she goes, so it seemed fitting to have Lidia take along, right? WRONG! Lidia is... how do I put this... LAZY! She doesn't like to walk very long, "her legs hurt" and she gets cranky when it comes to exercise in general. Typically on walks or anything like that, Lidia would be in a stroller but not at Ledges. We were walking around in creeks with water, waterfalls, etc. So there was no stroller. Carly on the otherhand was in heaven! Splashing, running, playing with rocks, etc. etc. So the moral of the story? Keep the birthday adventures for the birthday girl. After all, we were doing something that Carly liked, not something Lidia liked (like sitting and getting her hair done... ha!) so we should have known :) Either way, we had fun, the weather was pretty, and so was the scenery!





After we explored, walked along in the creeks, had cars splash us with water, took plenty of pictures, and dealt with a couple meltdowns... we had a picnic! We had a lot of stuff left over from their party so we packed it up, along with the leftover cupcakes and had a birthday picnic that included singing and dancing with the birthday girl.

After our picnic, we decided to pack up and head into Ames, a town nearby that we never get to. On our way out of Ledges State Park, I spotted a sign. And I just HAD to have a picture of the birthday girl next to it. Again, it was fate... considering we always call her Carl.... ha! I think this will be a birthday tradition of getting her picture taken next to this sign each year!
We headed to Ames and went to the Butterfly Gardens. It was... alright. It got pretty hot and there wasn't much for two toddlers to do. Plus... it was pretty expensive given that we were pretty much just walking through gardens :) Anyway,  I didn't get many pictures, I think I got a few on my camera (which I will update later) but I did get the funniest picture of the day at the butterfly gardens. Carly decided that she wanted to wear this to see the butterflies....
Non- matching shoes? Why not. It's your birthday. And yes, she walked around, in public, like that the rest of the afternoon. After the gardens, we headed back to Lulu's, played a bit, and then headed home so Papa could spend time with us and his birthday girl. We didn't do anything special that night. No big birthday dinner, no cake, and only opened one present. I guess that's what you get when your birthday falls after all the celebrations... Sorry baby!

#2ndchildsyndrome.

I kid.

Kind of.

Love you Carlyboo! Can't believe you are three!

3 comments :

Courtney B said...

Totally fate ;)
She is so darling! Love the photos! Happy Birthday Carly!!

Shawna said...

Lee always gives me a hard time about the girls' birthdays too, because I celebrate like 5 times haha. Love the pics---she's totally going to marry into royalty!

Joeylee said...

Love that pic of her by the water fall. Sounds like she had a great birthday. Kaylee got confused about her birthday this year too. She had her actual birthday and then 2 months later we had her party